Thursday 12 January 2012

Non Emergency Number 101 is Chargeable

In the UK the emergency number 999 is free and not chargeable from any phone number you call it from.

To help reduce the number of non urgent calls made to 999, most police forces across the UK have rolled out a simple and easy to remember number 101 which will connect you directly to your local police station if you need to report a non urgent crime.

I recently had to use the number to report a burgulary, and thought nothing of it till my phone bill arrived a few weeks later, and found out that had been charged 15p for using my home telephone to call 101.

While it is a small fee to pay, it would have been nice if I had been informed beforehand, as I could easily have googled the local police station telephone number.

Just a quick rant, as I'm sure it does cost money to implement the technology that allows 101 calls to be routed to the correct police station.

Looking for free international calls from your mobile phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment